Eternal Flame Memorial
The Eternal Flame Memorial in downtown Honolulu honors Hawaii’s men and women who served in the Air Force, Army, Coast Guard, Navy and Marines in major and minor conflicts. It was designed by Akaji Bumpei and erected in 1974. Since its installation, its gas flame torch has been burning brightly and steadfast as a constant memorial.
The Eternal Flame Memorial was built in 1944 exactly three years after the Pearl Harbor attacks which launched the United States into World War II. The Eternal Flame Memorial is located directly across the street from the Hawaii State Capitol building, at 420 South Beretania Street. A walk through this memorial lends a quiet, contemplative mood to any visitor. Its an escape from the bustle of Downtown Honolulu, and a tribute to the brave men and women who have served in the Armed Forces of the United States.