Tag: Downtown Honolulu

US Post Office, Custom House, and Court House in Honolulu

The US Post Office, Custom House, and Courthouse is downtown Honolulu was the official seat of administration in the Territory of Hawaii for the United States government. Located at the corner of Richards and Merchant Streets, this building is also known as the King Kalakaua Building. This building was once headquarters to most federal agencies …

Kanaina Building, the old Archives Building

The Kanaina Building is the old Archives Building and was built in 1906. It was the first building in the U.S. erected solely for the custody and preservation of public archive materials. It was restored in 1987 and now houses the administrative offices of The Friends of Iolani Palace.

Honolulu Hale

Honolulu Hale is the official City Hall building of the City and County of Honolulu. Designed by Dickey, Wood and others, this Spanish mission style building features open-to-the-sky courtyards, hand-painted ceiling frescos, 1,500-pound bronze front doors, and 4,500-pound courtyard chandeliers. The main entry faces King Street, behind a zig-zag pattern of planters, and the exterior …

Dillingham Transportation Building

The Dillingham Transportation Building is one of the few historic and recognizable business buildings left in downtown Honolulu.  While most of Honolulu’s former well-known business buildings have been replaced by modern high-rises of glass and steel, the Dillingham Transportation Building’s architecture gives one time to admire its beauty of a time gone by. Built in 1929, …

Iolani Bandstand

The lolani Bandstand was erected in front of the lolani Palace in 1883 as a pavilion for the coronation of King Kalakaua. The bandstand, also known as Keliiponi Hale, was first built directly in front of the King Street entrance to the Palace as the shelter for the coronation of both King Kalakaua and Queen …

St Andrew’s Cathedral

St Andrew’s Cathedral in downtown Honolulu represents one of the finest examples of Gothic revival architecture existing in Hawaii. St Andrew’s Cathedral was established after the passing of Prince Albert. Princess Ka‘iulani was also baptized and Queen Lili‘uokalani was cared for while residing at Washington Place.

Washington Place

Washington Place was the home of Queen Liliuokalani in 1862. Queen Liliuokalani was the last Hawaiian Queen before she was deposed by the “provisional government.” For more than 160 years, Washington Place has remained at the center of social and political life in the Hawaiian Islands since 1922, and has served as official residence for …

Mission Memorial Building

The Mission Memorial Building was built by the Hawaiian Evangelical Association in commemoration of the approaching centennial anniversarky of the arriving first missionaries. The city took over the building during the 1940’s and it has since been converted to the City Hall Annex. The Mission Memorial Building was designed by architect HL Kerr and was …

Hawaiian Mission Houses

The Hawaiian Mission Houses are the oldest standing western structures in Hawaii. Built between 1821 and 1841, the timbers for the first house were cut and fitted in Boston. The initial house introduced New England style architecture to Hawaii. Originally utilized as housing for the missionaries, the buildings exist today as living house museums open …

Page 1 of 2
1 2