Hawaii State Library
The Hawaii State Library is the flagship of the Hawaii State Public Library System. The Hawaii State Library is located in the historic capitol district of Honolulu, next door to the only Royal Palace in the United States and across the street from the Ali’iolani Hale building and King Kamehameha Statue. The Hawaii State Library has an enormous collection of books and media and its Hawaii & Pacific Section, the Edna Allyn Room Children’s collection, and also the Federal Documents Section, which has been a Selective Federal Depository Library since 1929.
With financial assistance from Andrew Carnegie, the present location was acquired and the existing building was built and opened on Feb. 1, 1913. The Hawaii State Library became the main library and resource center for the seven-island, multi-branch Hawaii State Public Library System.
The Hawaii State Library building was designed for the Territory of Hawaii by New York architect Henry D. Witfield in association with Honolulu architect HL Kerr. The design was commissioned in 1909, the construction was completed in February 1913.
The Hawaii State Library is located at 478 South King Street in downtown Honolulu. It is located next to the Hawaii State Capitol building, the Iolani Palace and the Kanaina Building, and across the street from Honolulu Hale. Their telephone number is 808-586-3500