Kanaina Building, the old Archives Building
The Kanaina Building is the old Archives Building and was built in 1906. It was the first building in the U.S. erected solely for the custody and preservation of public archive materials. It was restored in 1987 and now houses the administrative offices of The Friends of Iolani Palace.
The Kanaina Building was designed by Oliver Traphagen in the Renaissance Revival style. The old Hawaii Archives building is located on the grounds of Iolani Palace, at 346 South King Street. It is located directly in front of the Kekauluohi Building and the Hawaii State Capitol building, and across the street from Ali’iolani Hale and the King Kamehameha statue.