The Hawaiian Electric Company Building
The Hawaiian Electric Company building is a building located in the Hawaii Capital Historic District and has stood on the corner of King Street, Richards Street, and Merchant Street since 1927. This attractive structure, designed by York and Sawyer, the same New York architects who designed the U.S. Post Office building across Richards Street from it. The building was obviously influenced by the public architecture predominaant in the Historic Capitol District in terms of size, scale, and texture. The building is reinforced concrete with steel framing. The exterior is adorned with terra cotta trim pieces and a stucco finish.
The building was designed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style (which was popular for large buildings in the 20s) and is characterized by a terra cotta roof, stucco exterior, round arch motifs with ornate detailing and ornamental iron work. The building also has a bell-tower, parapets and decorative columns. Other notable Oahu buildings built in this style are Honolulu Hale, McKinley High School and the downtown post office next door.
The Hawaiian Electric Company building is located at 900 Richards Street in downtown Honolulu. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1978 as a part of the Hawaii Capital Historic District.