US Post Office, Custom House, and Court House in Honolulu
The US Post Office, Custom House, and Courthouse is downtown Honolulu was the official seat of administration in the Territory of Hawaii for the United States government. Located at the corner of Richards and Merchant Streets, this building is also known as the King Kalakaua Building. This building was once headquarters to most federal agencies in Hawaii, including the U.S. District Court.
Designed by New York architects York and Sawyer, the architecture of the three-story building is described as Spanish colonial revival, a style maintained when an addition to the building was built in 1929. This classic Mediterranean-style structure features large roof overhangs, shaded arcades, open interior courtyards, spacious porticos, and two towers. It is still currently used as the Downtown Post Office.
The US Post office, Custom House , and Courthouse was added to the National Register of Historic Places on January 27, 1975. In 1978 it was also included as a contributing property in the NRHP listing of the Hawaii Capital Historic District.
The US Post office, Custom House , and Courthouse is located at 335 Merchant Street in downtown Honolulu, directly across the street from Iolani Palace, and Ali’Iolani Hale, and the King Kamehameha statue.