The lolani Bandstand was erected in front of the lolani Palace in 1883 as a pavilion for the coronation of King Kalakaua. The bandstand, also known as Keliiponi Hale, was first built directly in front of the King Street entrance to the Palace as the shelter for the coronation of both King Kalakaua and Queen Kapiolani.
Originally a frame structure, it was later retrofitted with a concrete foundation, balustrade, and columns in 1919. Today it is used as a stage for the Royal Hawaiian Band, and is also used for the inauguration of the Governors of the State of Hawaii.
Iolani bandstand is located at the corner of Richards Street and South King Street in downtown Honolulu. It is located directly across the street from the downtown post office, the Ali’iolani Hale building, and the King Kamehameha statue.