Tag: Historic Hawaii

Iolani Barracks

The Iolani Barracks was built in 1871 to house the Royal Guards and household troops. Built partially from salvaged coral blocks and blocks cut with prison labor, the Iolani Barracks structure contains an open courtyard surrounded by rooms once used by the guards as a mess hall, kitchen, dispensary, berth room, and lockup. Iolani Barracks …

US Post Office, Custom House, and Court House in Honolulu

The US Post Office, Custom House, and Courthouse is downtown Honolulu was the official seat of administration in the Territory of Hawaii for the United States government. Located at the corner of Richards and Merchant Streets, this building is also known as the King Kalakaua Building. This building was once headquarters to most federal agencies …

Kanaina Building, the old Archives Building

The Kanaina Building is the old Archives Building and was built in 1906. It was the first building in the U.S. erected solely for the custody and preservation of public archive materials. It was restored in 1987 and now houses the administrative offices of The Friends of Iolani Palace.

Iolani Bandstand

The lolani Bandstand was erected in front of the lolani Palace in 1883 as a pavilion for the coronation of King Kalakaua. The bandstand, also known as Keliiponi Hale, was first built directly in front of the King Street entrance to the Palace as the shelter for the coronation of both King Kalakaua and Queen …

Washington Place

Washington Place was the home of Queen Liliuokalani in 1862. Queen Liliuokalani was the last Hawaiian Queen before she was deposed by the “provisional government.” For more than 160 years, Washington Place has remained at the center of social and political life in the Hawaiian Islands since 1922, and has served as official residence for …

Old Historic Kaka’ako Fire Station

The old Kaka’ako Fire Station was built in 1929 in the Spanish Mission style. The Kakaako station is unusual in that the big fire doors slide to the side rather than up. This historic building is considered to be haunted. The historic Kaka’ako fire station was active from 1929 until 1973; It is now a museum housing …

Mission Memorial Building

The Mission Memorial Building was built by the Hawaiian Evangelical Association in commemoration of the approaching centennial anniversarky of the arriving first missionaries. The city took over the building during the 1940’s and it has since been converted to the City Hall Annex. The Mission Memorial Building was designed by architect HL Kerr and was …

Hawaiian Mission Houses

The Hawaiian Mission Houses are the oldest standing western structures in Hawaii. Built between 1821 and 1841, the timbers for the first house were cut and fitted in Boston. The initial house introduced New England style architecture to Hawaii. Originally utilized as housing for the missionaries, the buildings exist today as living house museums open …

Iolani Palace

iolani palace honolulu hawaii royal hawaiian residence history capitol ruling monarch kingdom king kalakaua queen liliuokalani 1893 government monarchy architecture history construction american florentine address tours location lawn band tour visit map floor national register historic landmark david county city royalty grand hall throne room state dining music imprisonment bedroom library